Backup Error - volume shadow copy:800423f4

I experienced this problem some months ago, then Simo told me he got the same error and today Claudio too... I decided to post the results.



Error:
Volume shadow copy creation: Attempt 1.
"Event Log Writer" has reported an error 0x800423f4. This is part of System State. The backup cannot continue.

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:800423f4
Aborting Backup.


Case 1:
This occured after installing SQL, the workaround was creating different BKS (Backup Selection Files) for every partition you need to backup (e.g. BackupDiskC.bks and BackupDiskD.bks) and different jobs.

Case 2:
This occured random, the workaround was clearing Windows Event Log.

I also found the following MS Article but it didn't help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828481/en-us
Share on Google Plus

About Vittorio Pavesi

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

1 commenti:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I am also having this issue. I tried the hotfixes and no go. Randomly the backup fails with this error. I bet this can be fixed somehow with SQL but I have ISA installed with MSDE, ACT installed with SQl2005 express and I also have the SBS monitoring and a full version of sql 2005 running on the server and I am sure that if I can find a way to consolidate all the dbs into the full version of SQL I can get this fixed. But in the mean time I will try to create separate backup jobs for each backup selection and see if I can get a full week of successful backup. running sbs 2003 r2 sp2. thanks,